At present, the state of our union is not strong. Americans have lost faith in their leaders, their neighbors, and their future. Increased division along party lines along with systemic failures in our education, justice, and healthcare systems have resulted in cracks in our democracy that threaten its unique foundation. Unless we fix and modernize our democracy, we will be unable to deal with the many existential threats our nation faces over this coming decade and beyond.
I, Lee Drutman, believe that youth involvement in the democracy reform space, and in change-making work in general should be sought out and strengthened. I am committed to uplifting youth-led work in every way I can, including realizing the following in partnership with the Civics 2030 Campaign and community:
- Create and help secure internship opportunities for Builders
- Lend my public platform, including my podcast, to the Builders
- Help advise Builders on democracy reform projects
- Use my network to make introductions for Builders
- Promote the Civics Unplugged Fellowship, driving exceptional teens to join as Fellows each year
Through these actions, I hope to join Civics Unplugged in building a better American democracy and a brighter future for us all, with young people leading the way.